Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

The evolution of my son

He changes without my permission.

It starts with a frustration. He asks his brother for help on the swing and his brother, being too busy, refuses. He cries. I teach him the fundamentals of swinging; rock back and forth while you pump your legs. He tries and quickly gives up.

A week later, he runs to me and says "Mom! I want to show you something!" We head to the swing where he climbs up and pushes himself back and forth with only the strength of his upper body and legs. He's practiced and figured it out.

From frustration, to learning, to practicing, to doing. Sometimes I participate, sometimes I'm just a witness, and sometimes I'm neither. My baby has made another step towards independence. One day I'll just be a bystander, and that's ok. Until then, I'll watch and learn and teach and soak up all that I can of his little boyhood and just enjoy all that he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment