Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Park Bench

I sat on a park bench on my lunch break today, reading a book in lieu of eating. After my hour had passed, I put down the book and took in the scenery. A large tree stood beside the bench casting shade upon me; a large, murky pond filled with ducks in front of me. The peaks of a mountain in the distance. The sound of birds chirping and ducks gliding across the water. The sky a clear blue without a hint of clouds and a slight breeze rustling the branches above me.

I glanced across the pond, my eyes resting on an empty picnic table sitting in the sun. Memories of the first time I visited this park flooded my mind. I was facing the darkest time of my life. I was scared, rejected and alone. Despite the company of a friend, the loneliness was deafening. I was unsure of my future and was contemplating ending it all.

Today, as I picked up my book and my keys and headed back to my car, I glanced back at that picnic table and smiled. The memories of that time will always be there to taunt me and remind me of the selfish and scared woman I had been. I smile because I’m happy. Happy to be the person I am, the person God designed me to be.

I’m happy

No comments:

Post a Comment